Welcome to the Newsletter of the new journal of progressive music, arts and culture, AcousticLevitation.org. This Newsletter will contain only updates listing new pieces appearing in Acoustic Levitation and, rarely, relevant special notices coming from the editors.
We are currently soliciting contributions from or about artists and the arts of all genres, especially those with a cultural or ethnic slant.
The first issue will feature:
- Poetry from Steve Dalachinsky, David Messineo and Barry Wallenstein
-Brainwaves and Music: The first of a series of review/essays.
-Turkish-Sephardic music and its commercialization.
- Concert reviews including Russ JohnsonÕs ŅOut To LunchÓ and Kagel's "der Schall."
- CD reviews: Henry Brant, Diamanda Galas, Lisle Ellis, Nancy Van Der Vate, Satoko Fujii and Natsuki Tamura...
- Visual Art from Mexico
Subsequent issues will include:
- Brasil: Music of The Double-Spirited Shaman
- Reviews of film, art, and theater.
- DVD reviews of avant-garde film and music, such as a new box of surrealist filmmaker Fernando Arrabal from CultEpics, and the Ethopiques CD series now goes video.
- Coverage of Arts and Music Festivals around the globe.
- Features on African and other ethnic musics and culture, plus Queer and gender-related writings and culture.
- Singers sharing views of the differences between jazz, pop and cabaret singing.
- Ethnomusicology, archeology, and anthopology.
- Mexican Art: Tradition Within The Contemporary.
- Interviews with Frederic Rzewski and Roy Campbell.
- Dance Mix: The Era of the Paradise Garage and The Coming Together of Races and The Kinsey Scale
- Record Label Reports: Ambiences Magnˇtique, Clean Feed, Cuneiform, Delmark, ECM, Edgetone, Emanem, Innova, Leo, 9Winds, pFmentum, Pogus, Public Eyesore, Quindecim, Sofa, Soleilmoon, Vienna Modern Masters, and XI.
Steve Koenig, Editor
Craig Nixon, Managing Editor